Saturday, March 5, 2011

Two Down One To Go

Just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire but Steig Larsson. It is the second book of his wildly popular millennium trilogy. I read the first installment, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, over a year ago. Both were fast paced and full of suspense. I anticpate the next one will be as well. In fact, I won't wait a year to read it. A couple of observations. After reading the two books I wonder why the Swedes always seem to have their cell phones (they call them mobiles) off. Of course, this happens at the worst possible time. I never turn mine off, and it seems to defeat the purpose of having a cell if it is off most of the time. There is a lot of violence against women, but it is usually followed with some sort of vigilante justice. One wonders why Stieg Larsson felt so inclined to portray men in such a poor light. In fact, most of the men are total jerks, if not worse. Larsson, however, is no prude. There is lots of sex (although nothing graphic) and everyone seems to be happy until one of the jerk men show up and ruin everything. Again, this treatement of men leaves me wondering what was going on in Larsson's head. Finally, none of the adults seem to have children. The plots seem a little fantastical to me, but, then again, most do. I guess I want to see in a novel is something I can relate to in my own life, and Larsson's books are certainly outside the realm of possibility on many different levels. Maybe I lead a boring and pedestrian life, but I am not complaining. It is just that this series is pure entertainment (and there is nothing wrong with that) that, so far at least, has not departed any life lessons to me. But it still was a very enjoyable and fun read!

On another note, I will be re-christening the blog next week. If possible, I will also rename it, but the address should remain the same. There will be seperate announcement message.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment